Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Memorial Tree

I was notified the other week that our family had been selected to have a memorial tree planted in Joey’s honor at the Darien Park Districts annual Arbor Day celebration. I was surprised and excited that our family was chosen. Apparently, the Park district works with The Gift of Carl Foundation to plant memorial trees in honor of deserving families that have lost a loved in in the past year. Our pastor from church shared my blog with someone involved in this organization and the comity selected Joey to be honored. They found our families strength through such a difficult and heartbreaking time as an inspiration to others.

The Gift of Carl Foundation was started by a family in the community that lost their son in a drowning accident. The foundation works to provide awareness and educational opportunities in the fields of theater arts, literacy, music, and environmental education. This originations helps to fund the memorial trees that planted. The memorial trees are planted every year on Arbor Day in a community park and school from the area are invited.

The trees that are planted are larger, as they will be a park. I got to choose what type of tree that I wanted planted for Joey. I choose the Chinkapin Oak out of the three tree choices. I thought that it was a perfect choice because it reminded me of a song that my mom used to sing to me when I was little, that also I sang to Joey. Here are the lyrics:

Over the mountain, over the sea,
Back where my heart is longing to be,
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

I see the moon; the moon sees me
Down through the leaves of the old oak tree.
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

In addition a plaque with Joey’s name on it and an inscription will be placed by the tree.  This event is to take place on Friday, April 24th at Lindenwood Park in Darien, IL. The tree will be blessed and the pastor from our church is planning to say some short words about Joey.  Five families will be honored at the event and a small leaf plaque will be added to the Darien Park Districts “tree of Memories" that is located at the Darien Park District. Here is a summary of the event details:

Darien’s Arbor Day Celebration
Friday April 24th
Time TBD, morning
Lindenwood Park
(Located on 79th St, less than ¼ mile, east of Cass Ave. Enter on the north, where the parking lot is connected to the Park. Memorial tress will be planted near the Playground area)

Being asked to take part in the event is very small honor that has made our family feel very special. Having a tree planted for Joey is a  beautiful way for his memory to live on. We plan to take some professional family photos by Joey’s tree this summer. Please feel free to join us rain or shine on April 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment